I dived with Into the blue last week, and despite having an early meeting time was greeted by the staff with instant smiles and friendliness. Within 15 minutes the blond lady at reception had our whole groups paperwork sorted, gear packed, and introductions given.
There was a groupf of about 7 of us, and we all got to know eachother and the rest of the staff very well throughout the day. Everyone of the staff was friendly and happy to lend a helping hand, and they were very thorough and professional throughout the day.
The dive conditions didn't end up being so good, but the skipper GP was wise enough to call off the second dive for safety and we were sorted out back at the shop with rescheduling and refunds.
Very well done, and I would highly recommend for any divers visiting Cape town. I will be back to dive with Into the blue again!!!
PADI INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT SCUBA DIVING COURSE CAPE TOWN (IDC)- INTRODUCTION
Take a step-up from PADI Divemaster and become a PADI Scuba Dive Instructor! Advancing to this level truly opens up many new doors for you and you get to teach people how to dive. As a PADI Dive Instructor, you will find that there are more employment vacancies and that there is an increase in the salaries as you level up your qualification.
At Into the Blue in Cape Town, we only use the best PADI Course Directors to conduct your Instructors Dive Course.
The PADI Instructor Development Course is your final stepping stone on the road to becoming a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor. During this program candidates learn to successfully use and adapt the PADI system of diver education, supported by the wide variety of PADI educational materials to suit individual student needs and ensure success and enjoyment. As a PADI Open Water Scuba Dive Instructor you are able to conduct a wide variety of PADI courses ranging from PADI Discover Scuba Diving to PADI Dive Master.
Quick overview of the Dive Instructor Development Scuba Diving Course in Cape Town
IDC (Instructor Development Course)- 9 Days
- EFRI & IDC Combo- 11 Days
- I.E (Instructors Examination)- 2 Days
- Conducted at Into the Blue Scuba Dive Centre, or at a 5 star conference venue in Cape Town
- Days start at 8am and continue until late
- Conducted by a PADI Course Director
- Minimum age: 18
- Logged dives needed: 100
- Your IDC will extensively cover the theory behind diving and teaching, as well as practical lessons in the pool and ocean on how to teach students how to dive.
PADI INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT SCUBA DIVING COURSE OUTLINE
The IDC is conducted over a period of 11 full days at our premises in Cape Town. This happens prior to the I.E (Instructors Examination). Candidates should prepare themselves as much as possible before the time, as there will not be a lot of time to focus on theory during the IDC.
Upon successful application to take part in an IDC with us, applicants will be sent a detailed list of preparation that needs to be done before the IDC to ensure your success.
Required theory materials
Each instructor candidate must have the following:
IDC Crew Pack containing:
- PADI’s Guide to teaching scuba diving
- PADI Specialty Instructor Manual CD Rom
- Open water and confined water preparation slates
- Aquatic Cue Cards – Confined Water and Open Water
- AID & Rescue Cue Cards
- Pro Logbook
- Law & Diving Book
- OW, Rescue and DM Exam Booklets
- Bus of Diving, Best of UJ & Children & Scuba on CD
- Business of Diving DVD
- PADI Instructors Manual
- PADI Open Water Diver Manual
- Adventures in Diving Manual
- PADI Rescue Diver Manual plus management slate
- PADI Dive master Manual
- RDP Table & ERDP ML with booklets to use
Additional theory materials needed:
All of these materials are available at Into the Blue Dive Centre.
- Fins, mask, snorkel and appropriate exposure protection
- Cylinder and weight system
- Regulator with alternate air source and SPG
- Depth gauge
- Timing device
- Compass and knife/divers tool
- 2 Emergency signalling devices
All of the above equipment is for sale or for rent from Into the Blue.
Other items that will be needed for the IDC
- 2 ID photographs
- In date diving medical (12 months)
- All non-PADI certification cards or certificates
PADI INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT SCUBA DIVING COURSE – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What will my rating be after completing the IDC?
You will have the Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) rating.
- Which courses can I teach with this rating?
You can teach the following courses as an OWSI:
• PADI Discover Scuba Experience
• PADI Scuba Diver
• PADI Open Water
• PADI Adventure Diver
• PADI Advanced Diver
• PADI Rescue Diver
• PADI Divemaster
• PADI Bubble Maker Experience
• PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty
• AWARE Coral Reef Conservation
• Project AWARE Specialist
• PADI Skin Diver
• PADI Discover Snorkelling
- What is the duration of my days on the course?
Expect full days – classes typically start at 7am and may last until 7pm or later.
There will also be homework each evening.
- Who does the Instructor Examination( I.E)?
The I. E is done by a PADI examiner of PADI’s choice.
Contact us for up to date dates of IDC’s and I.E’s, and for any additional information.
PADI INSTRUCTOR DEVELOPMENT SCUBA DIVING COURSE – PREREQUISITES
- Dive Leader Certification — PADI Divemaster or leadership-level certification with a recognized recreational diver training organization, who is either: an instructor member in good standing, or
(a) a diver with proof of certification in diver supervision and management
(b) including proof of rescue diving certification; 60 logged dives; documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation.
- 18 years old
- Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the past 12 months
- Certified diver for six months.
- EFR Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months.
- If not a PADI Divemaster, complete the PADI Divemaster course diver rescue skills assessment.
- Submit documentation of qualifying certifications for entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership level, as necessary.
- To be certified as a PADI Instructor you need to be an EFRI instructor in current standing. An EFRI & IDC Combo can be done through Into the Blue Scuba Centre.